With our 40 degree weather today in South Florida, I couldn't think of a better way to stay warm and cozy than in the comfort of your HOME with a warm bowl of Whole30 approved venison stew made in my Instant Pot! Most people think how nice it is to work from home, but to be honest most days I find myself like most struggling to plan ahead for dinner and of course stay healthy! I love this recipe because it uses a lot of simple ingredients I usually have on hand, plus it takes no time at all using my Instant Pot ( my new favorite cooking tool ).
2 lbs of venison or stew beef if you would prefer ( cubed )
2 tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
1 medium onion (chopped)
4 carrots (peeled and chopped)
3 cloves of garlic
5 russet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
2 cups beef broth
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper (to taste)
- Cut meat into bite sized cubes, season the meat with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika.
- Peel and chop, carrots, potatoes, onion and garlic.
- Use “Sauté” mode on Instant Pot add 1 tbsp of olive oil, and sear meat about 2 to 3 minutes each side. Take out and let rest once it’s been seared.
- Once you have pulled the meat out to rest, add the remaining olive oil, onion, garlic and tomato paste to create your “ Sofrito”.
- Once it has become fragrant and onions are semi translucent, you can add the meat back into the Instant Pot with the remaining ingredients.
- Place the lid on and switch it to the lock position. Switch the vent to “sealing" and press “meat/stew” button and increase the time to 30 minutes. It will take up to 15 minutes to reach pressure.
- Once the Instant Pot is done cooking allow it to sit for 10 minutes before you switch the vent to "venting". Watch the hot steam!
Stay warm and ENJOY!!